Thank you very much for your interest in the Master of Science in Physics course at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
In the following you can find information on the application process as well as the required documents. Please note that students with a foreign Bachelor degree have to apply differently (see below).
In case you are interested in a full scholarship (two years) for the Master course please apply for the honors branch of our graduate school.
- for summer term: 15 January
- for winter term: 15 July
Important: international students are highly recommended to apply for their preliminary review documentation (VPD, see below) before 1 June (winter term) or 1 December (summer term) to avoid scheduling conflicts especially in the visa process.
Sequence of Application
The application for the MSc in Physics course is solely possible via KLIPS 2.0!
You hold a bachelor's degree from the University of Cologne?
- Please register with you usual account in KLIPS2.0. In the category "Study Course", you will find a field "Applications". This will start the online application tool.
You have been awarded your bachelor's degree by another university?
- Please start by registering for a new applicant account.
Note: the application period in KLIPS 2.0 for the winter term 2022/23 starts June 1st!
Requested Documents for Application
The admission committee requires the certified copies of the following documents in order to decide on your application:
- School leaving certificate (or an equivalent degree of qualification for access to German universities)
- Transcript of Records
- Bachelor of Science in Physics degree (or an equivalent university degree). The degree certificate can be handed in later.
Applicants who have obtained their university degree (e.g. a bachelor’s degree) in a country other than Germany also need
- officially certified translations of the documents if the original documents were not issued in German or English Language
- preliminary review documentation (VPD) by uni-assist (for further information on requesting the VPD see the respective website of the International Office)
Additionally, please hand-in the following documents:
- Letter of Motivation
- Proof of English language skills: minimum score 80 (TOEFL Internet-based Test) or comparable proof (e.g. IELTS (score 6.5) or a university certificate stating that English is the language of instruction in your Bachelor program). In case you have done a German Abitur, the respective assessment of your English language skills (B2/C1) is sufficient.
For the online application, all of these documents have to be uploaded as pdf.
Handing in the bachelor certificate later is in general possible. The admission is then with qualified acceptance. Please hand in the certificate as soon as available - otherwise the admission to the master course will be retracted and the right to inscription ceases.
Please note that all other documents have to be uploaded in KLIPS2.0 by the application deadline!
Should you have any queries, please address the Examination Office of Physics or master-physicsuni-koeln.de.