Current Plans for Teaching in the Winter Semester 2020/2021
Teaching with respect to the Corona situation (update 21.01.2021)
As last term, the Department of Physics is again doing everything in its power allow for successful studies in the winter semester. We kindly ask for your understanding that the boundary conditions for teaching may change on short notice depending on the development of the pandemic. Up-to-date information from the university can be found here https://portal.uni-koeln.de/en/coronavirus.
Important: please make sure that you regularly receive and read the emails sent to your smail account. Otherwise, important information concerning your studies might get lost.
The University of Cologne will actively support the measures enacted by the Federal and Länder Governments to contain the exponentiell spreading of the Corona Virus. Thus,
- face-to-face teaching and face-to-face examinations are de facto completely prohibited (Section 6,1 Corona SchV NRW).
- working in research and administration should be maintained. Wherever possible this should be done by working from home. Spare time activities like university sports offers etc. are not possible.
- lending in libraries is now only permitted in connection with examination preparation (Section 6,4 Corona SchV NRW).
For the time being, these measures are limited until 31 January 2021.
What does that mean for the actual teaching?
- Lectures: all lectures will be given in a digital format. there will be synchronous (e.g. live lecture via zoom) as well as asynchronous (e.g. video download in ILIAS) offers.
- Exercises: all excercise groups will be offered via zoom.
- Lab courses: updated information for the lab courses can be found at the pages of Praktikum A, Praktikum B and Advanced Practical Courses M
To foster contacts, find learning groups or exchange your experiences we cordially invite you already now to make use of the virtual foyer created by the student representatives (Fachschaft): www.physik.uni-koeln.de/online-foyer
Information from the examination boards (BSc physics, MSc physics, Lehramt physics), status 21.01.2021:
- Oral examinations can still be held online, for further information check the menu on the top right.
- Please be prepared that all written exams which have been already scheduled for February and March will not take place in presence! Most of them will be offered as online exams or as alternative format (e.g. oral exam). Please contact the respective professors for further details.
- For the winter term 20/21, the "Freischussregel" has been extended: usually, students may repeat a written exam to improve the grade if they have taken the first possible exam after acheiving the required qualification. This winter term, this is also possible if the retake exam is the first attempt.
This holds also true in case a written exam is replaced by an oral exam.
Independently of this regulation, students may repeat exams they have not passed.