Thank you very much for your interest in the Master course of Physics at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
For Master courses applications go directly to the respective department - in contrast to Application to Bachelor and Teaching courses.
All applicants with a German (Bachelor) degree apply directly to the admission committee for the master course in Physics:
Examination Office Physics
Institute for Theoretical Physics
Universit of Cologne
Zuelpicher Str. 77
E-Mail to: ch(at)thp.uni-koeln.de
All applicants with a foreign (Bachelor) degree apply through the portal of uni-assist e.V.
These applications are collected through uni-assist e.V., are verified for formal accuracy, and finally passed on to the admission committee for the Physics Master course for final verification. uni-assist e.V. is an association founded by the German universities, which takes care of the technical processing of applications.
In case you are interested in a full scholarship (two years) for the Master course please apply for the honors branch of our graduate school.
- for summer term: 15 January
- for winter term: 15 July
Requested Documents for Application
The admission committee requires the certified copies of the following documents in order to be able to verify your application:
- Letter of Motivation
- School leaving certificate (or an equivalent degree of qualification for access to German universities
- Bachelor-degree (or an equivalent university degree). A German Bachelor degree can be handed in later.
- Transcript of Records
- Proof of English language skills: minimum score 80 (TOEFL Internet-based Test) or comparable proof
Applicants with a foreign school and university degree need to send also:
- Certified translation of degrees unless they exist in German or English.
Sequence of Application (for applicants with a foreign school and university degree)
The common sequence of an application is the following:
- Register through the application portal: Cologne University's online application service
You will receive an e-mail with a security link.
- Activate your access by clicking on the secured link
- Sign on in the application portal (online application service)
- Enter your personal data (name, address, etc), your desired course in Physics and save.
- Create a PDF document of your application by using the link "Antrag drucken“.
- Send your application electronically to uni-assist using the link "Antrag übermitteln“.
- Transfer the administration fees to the account of uni-assisst (bank account details).
- Print and sign the PDF document.
- Send the printed and signed PDF document together with your documents and the transfer receipt to the following address:
University of Cologne
On the home page of uni-assist you will find a general overview of the steps for a successfull application. Important: Do not follow the link to the general portal for applications on the uni-assist home page. Follw the instead the individual application portal of the University of Cologne (Cologne University's online application service).
Decisions concerning admission for the Master course are regularly send out after the meeting of the admission committee, latest one to two months after the application deadline.
Handing in the Bachelor Degree Later / Admission with Qualified Acceptance
Handing in the Bachelor certificate later is in general possible for German Bachelor degrees within a time period given by the admission committee. The admission is then with qualified acceptance. In case the proof of the Bachelor degree is not given on time the admission to the master course will be retracted and the right to inscription ceases.